I received my invitation to Ravelry this week, and have been busy posting photos, describing projects, and linking to posts on this blog; my handle there is “mtmom”. It’s cool how much the system already knows about yarns, patterns, and books — I type in a yarn name and the screen fills in the yardage automatically; I enter the name of an online pattern and a thumbnil pops up! Entertaining. I’m trying to restrain my self and limit the time per session I spend there. The features I most look forward to utilizing are (1) yarn-searching, where I can see what others have made from a particular yarn and hopefully get a feeling for whether it would work for what I might have in mind, and (2) pattern-searching, to see one item in several different yarns/colorways and explore which appeal to me most for that item and, hopefully, what they look like on various body-types, like Knitting Daily has done recently with their “Galleries” — same sweater modeled on different women.
Meanwhile, knitting has not stopped just because I finished a large project (yay, me!). I have pursued a number of ideas for nexts, as well as kept at some WIP’s. I even finished a new item!
My lion seems to be taking a cue from WendyKnits‘ teddy, but he’s still a bit camera-shy. I started and finished this cap all in the space of 28 hours, so it bears 2 names: “the 28-hour cap” and “Choco-cherry cap” after the TLC Essentials yarn I used for the main body.
The knee socks are progressing, too. After making it all the way to the top this past week, I decided the calf was too spacious at the widest point and ripped back to just before the last pair of increases. I have now re-progressed to this point, about halfway through the top ribbing.
I was of two minds about whether to rib in k1-p1 or k2-p2. The former I’ve had good success in binding off flexibly but neatly with a tubular BO, but the latter pulls in so nicely and I prefer it’s appearance overall. I’m going with the 2×2 — at least, for now — and we’ll just have to see how the BO goes. I expect to try a tubular variation. Then, I want to see how my final sock compares with the measurements I have written down. I hope this will help me make future socks, for folks I do not have handy for try-ons, from measurements only.
And here’s an update on the entrelac baby blanket — now on the 6th row.
I’m choosing colors as I go, rather than following an algorithm, like the colors of the spectrum in order. (That was one plan I considered a few rows back, but the turquoise-blue seemed too strong to go just after the lime-green. . . .) I guess this is going to be a “cool” section, then “warm” again later. We shall see. I’m becoming much more confident in my entrelac work, picking up the stitches and joining the rectangles and edge increases/decreases and such. That’s a joy to me.
And, speaking of increasing my confidence — drum roll, please — I’ve dived back into my Master Knitter work for Level 2! (ta da!)
Here’s swatch #4:
seaming 1×1 ribbing.
(Actually, I’ve reworked the bind-off since this photo was taken; I think it’s an improvement.) And, in case you wondered why you’re seeing green through my cream stitches, the seam MUST be worked in contrasting-colored yarn for the judging. Swatch is currently drying from yet another blocking. Next will be labelling, writing up, and moving on to k2-p2 seaming.
And this photo represents the very beginnings of one of the projects for Level 2: the vest.
You see here the US size 4 needle, Dale “Falk” yarn, and a page from Ann Budd’s book, The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns. The cotton yarn on the needle forms a provisional cast-on, to be removed later. I’m currently planning to add an in-the-round bottom edging onto both front and back pieces after I’ve seamed them. I’ve also chosen a lace panel pattern from Barbara Walker’s Treasury and LeisureArts’ 99 Knit Stitches to use on the front, but I’m keeping that under wraps for now.
I am a busy knitter! (And lovin’ it!)