Beautiful Knitting

Where Mt.Mom knits, crochets, designs, and seeks Beauty as food for the soul.

Posts Tagged ‘Argyle sock’

Argyle Update and Cap Done

Posted by mtmom on February 1, 2009

Q:  Anybody know?:  Why is the Scottish region called “Argyll”, but the color-pattern is spelled “Argyle”?

Well, I’ve finished the intarsia section. . .

. . . and joined the back flaps onto one needle. . . .

. . . worked an EZ-style heel flap. . .

. . . turned the heel, picked up stitches, and have begun the gusset.

See how the sole section is still kept separate from the instep section?  I’ll need to seam that split later — that’s what the seaming swatch is about.  Alternatively, if I weren’t required to work this in “traditional” fashion, I *could* join the sole to the instep one row at a time by picking up an instep edge-stitch at the end of each sole-row and joining it in by means of a decrease.  Once upon a time, I knitted a single sock using this method, but I don’t think the join was neat enough in appearance to do on a Master Knitter submission sock.

Next, I’ll need to continue the gusset until it’s as long as the intarsia section, then go into the round for the rest of the foot.  I can seam before or after knitting the in-the-round section.  Then, foot to the toe, decrease the toe, graft, tuck ends.  I’ll not be seaming up the back of the leg, making examination by the judges easier.

Meantime, I’ve finished the square-top hat — an original pattern of mine that I’m in the process of writing up, at least in the one (grade school) size that I’ve made twice so far, once with a rolled brim, once with ribbing. 

DD really likes this one.

Posted in Cap/Hat, Color-work, Design, Knitting, Master Knitter | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

I was nearing the toe, when. . . .

Posted by mtmom on January 25, 2009

. . . I spotted a real problem with my LAST project for Level 2 of Master Knitter, the Argyle sock.  I realized that both of the published patterns I was using as guides had the same omission:  no stitches added for seaming.

I had finishED the intarsia section, joinED the back for the heel, completED the heel, workED the sole, seamED the instep to the sole, began working in the round, and was beginning to have visions of Kitchener sugarplums.  I looked at my foot-tube and saw. . . NO CORNERS ON MY INSTEP DIAMOND.  (I *should* have taken a photo — Bad Blogger!)

I had realized the cuffs had this problem, because 1 of the 2 patterns *did* include an extra stitch on one side in the cuff section, whereas the other pattern did not.  But neither one of them had extra stitches in the instep portion, and I missed it.  Didn’t snap.  So, when I seamed the top the bottom of the foot, the edge stiches of each got eaten up in the seam.  Since the diamond came to the edge, it lost it’s corners!

I ripped back fully one-third of my work.  Sigh!

I know I need to add seaming-selvedge(s), but what’s the *best* way to achieve this?  And what about the glitch in the fabric where the instep seam starts?  Now, I’m going to swatch to figure out these related questions , so that the beginning of the sewing-up is smoothest in appearance, and the diamond has points left after the seam is sewn.  Here is the swatch I’ve concocted:

You see, I’ve gotten pretty good at seaming parts that are separate — a major theme in Level 2.  It’s the spot where the fabric goes from being together to being separate to being together again that I didn’t like my results.  Hence the “buttonholes” — hope my idea bears fruit.  First hole has no extra stitches, 2nd has one extra on left side, 3rd has 2 extra, one on each side.  I plan to seam up each hole.  We shall see, eh?

Another knitting frustration:

I finished the Maltese Fisherman’s hat.

A nice pattern from Schoolhouse Press.  But even with my hair at its absolute fluffiest (just after shampooing), the hat is too big.Not sure at this point whether to try semi-felting it, to make it smaller, or frogging it and recondidioning and reusing the yarn to make a different hat.

Meanwhile, this past Tuesday I began planning in earnest for a Fair Isle sweater!  Definitely a LONG-term project!

Posted in Cap/Hat, Knitting, Master Knitter | Tagged: , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Ribbing Troubles

Posted by mtmom on January 1, 2009

I’m having a crisis of knitting-confidence . . . about my ribbing.  The harder I try to correct this (relatively new) slanting problem, the worse it seems to get! 

This is for my level 2 Master Knitter work — the widely-dreaded Argyle sock.

Is blocking going to help this?  I’ve tried fiddling with a needle tip to straighten these guys, but they don’t stay fixed.

I’m considering whether I might rip this part out later,  and either (1) work a second band bottom-up from the freed stockinette stitches — but then I’d be 1/2 stitch off at each end for later seaming — or (2) work a second band from top-down and graft the 2 pieces together with a row of MC stockinette before the intarsia begins — challenging.  Either way, I’ll have to be making nicer ribs before I replace these.  Meanwhile, I’m pressing ahead with the intarsia, waiting for inspiration.

Ufff.  I’d like a knitting “fairy” to drop in, sit by me, and patiently guide me through this!

Insights, encouragement, and/or constructive suggestions welcome.

Posted in Color-work, Knitting, Master Knitter | Tagged: , , , , | 4 Comments »