Getting Near to Done with 2 pair Kilt Hose
Posted by mtmom on August 22, 2010
I’ve done all the (planned) increases on Robert’s forest green heather kilt hose. The end is in sight!
The light bit of yarn at the top of the righthand sock shows where I worked one more pair of increases on sock #1. Eventhough my ruler says 78 stitches is wide enough, and a slightly narrower 3-stitch knit-rib at center-back looks fine, I decided to try 80 stitches because it better fills out my ribbing pattern of (k5, seed3) around. After another inch or so, I’ll be able to get better measurements of the girth. I don’t have his legs available to try these on (he’s been to at least 2 countries since I saw him last), so I don’t know for sure how stretched — or not — these calves will be on him. I’m really looking forward to finishing these and posting them off to him in County Derry.
And I still haven’t finished a whole ball of Wool-Ease in either sock! Back when I was only able to purchase 4 balls of a single dye lot, I was concerned I wouldn’t have enough, but it looks now like 4 balls will be plenty — hurray!
The second pair of hose that’s oh-so-near to being done is the pair for myself that I’ve been working on for just over 2 years. I’m using Knit Picks “Bare” 100% undyed wool in DK weight, and had been knitting these 2-at-a-time on one very long circular until I got to the actual cuffs. Now I can say I’ve done that (the 2-socks-on-one-needle thing), but I found it cumbersome and don’t plan to do it again any time soon.
I hope to have these complete before August 31st, the day to take County Fair exhibits over to the Fairgrounds for judging and display.
Other projects in the meantime: